Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

I'm Walking So Hard My Bones Are On Fire!

By Keith Brock
April 20, 2011

"I'm Walking So Hard My Bones Are On Fire!" The lyrics came waffling up from the valley floor a quarter mile below as I labored up an incline; my body at that moment feeling like my bones actually were on fire.  Coincidentally I had noticed that different things on my body hurt at different times and sometimes what was hurting least was masked at that moment by what was hurting most and decided to follow the trail of pain this day.

Each trip I start up the Tram Road my legs go through pure revolt.  I know if they could dissown me the would be walking back down hill with the first person we met, but alais, they are attached and have to goi where I want to go - that is when I have mind over body, which isn't 100% of the time it seems.  The first thing I notice is the fire in the back of my calves as I start up the ever increasing incline.  For the first mile my calves literally scream at me.  However, I noticed the last several times I walked this road that a whole cornucopia of hurts seemed to confluence at the point I didn't know where the pains were coming from.  Are my calves still burning or is the pain in the back of my legs?  Later, is that my  back hurting? Are my calves still hurting or is my back hurting more to the point I don't feel the pain in my legs?  Then! Where did my breath go?  Why am I gasping for air like a fish thrown into a road in the desert.  Where's my pond!

The movement of pain has a definite route up my body and I am starting to watch it, with no control over it unless I stop plodding up the steep road and rest.  That only seems to make things worse, though, because my body seems to fall into a cadence of plopping one foot in front of the other and my breathing  sinks up with it until they are in harmony as my body shouts from the audience to just "SIT DOWN!"



After my calves turn to fire I notice that the pain moves to the outside of my calves seems linger about a mile or so there.  This melds into a pain in the back of my legs above my knees, and about the 2 to 2.5 mile marker - moves into my lower back.

I am currently using a backpack that is really nothing more than a day-pack I purchased from Wall Mart.  I fill it with approximately 13 pounds of water, digital cameras, headphones, mp3 player, power bars and a sweater.  I don't have a belt support; I find when my back is burning I reach back with my hands, placing them on my lower back and upper hips, and support the pack with my fingers to give my back some breathing room and take the weight off my shoulders. No one else carries a pack on this road - just a water-bottle, and sometimes a belt for an extra bottle for runners. (Yes, fools actually run the four miles to the top - rising over 2,000 feet of climb, and then back down).  Then there is the marching down the mountain, with a whole different play of muscles at work.

The back seems to take the brunt, and the knees because I am coming down on them pretty hard because it is difficult to come down a steep road without tossing head-over-heels, so you are applying a counter force to your ever increasingly speeding up body to slow it down. I'm not sure why it seems to get the lower back so much, maybe because of the angle of my body and the weight coming down from the backpack putting more pounding on my spine.  Regardless, it does seem to be worse on the back and the knees on the way down.  The front shins sometimes burn on the way up but my legs aren't a problem on the way down.  What I do notice is that feet get tired and sour - maybe because I am finishing up an eight-mile walk would be a good excuse. But I think it is because they are slapping down harder coming down the road.  Going up the seem to slip under me - my toes and the ball of my foot hitting first, then lifting me.  There isn't that pounding of slapping feet I get as I come down.

I have started noticing a lot of things I didn't now about the Tram Road, the scenery, the plants and birds, and now my body.  I will try to take pictures and share with you each trip. Today, in conjunction with a little introspection - looking at things closer and in more in-depth, I took the time to looks at somethings closer in macro and share with you.

I hope you enjoy this little slice of life I share with you.  If so, please pass on the site link to others and encourage them to pitch in with their comments.

Happy Trailing!

Keith

   Be Flexible--Stretch Those Muscles Before Exercising.(to help prevent knee pain, shin splints, and tendinitis): An article from: Medical Update

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This Article

"Never be afraid to try, remember...Amateurs built the ark, Professionals built the Titanic." Unknown

Check Out These Great Products For Us Hikers and Backpackers!