Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A tribute to Appalachian Trail hikers - National Appalachian Trail Hiking | Examiner.com

A tribute to Appalachian Trail hikers - National Appalachian Trail Hiking | Examiner.com:

"Living in society day by day, watching the heavy metal death traps as they roll down the asphalt roadway at ridiculous speeds makes me want to put my pack on and just start walking. Where is it that they all need to get to so fast that they cannot walk? Am I missing something, I ask myself? Is there some place I need to be other than here, now? I would rather be hiking to nowhere than driving some place.

I look at my pack sitting in plain sight under the shelf and I notice that it looks the same as when I came off the trail nine months ago. It looks as if it is just sitting there patiently, waiting on me to pick it up and strap it on, making it again part of me. Every time I look over at it I feel its energy. It is longing to move as well, longing to get back to the trail. It stares back at me as if to say, “I can wait as long as it takes.”"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet This Article

"Never be afraid to try, remember...Amateurs built the ark, Professionals built the Titanic." Unknown

Check Out These Great Products For Us Hikers and Backpackers!